Fall is officially here in South Louisiana and with that comes family portrait time! (Our fall mini-sessions start tomorrow!) When the weather gets a little cooler and the holidays start approaching, that’s usually when everyone is ready to update those family photos (or get them taken for the first time!). I know how tough it is to put together outfits for family portraits – it really just isn’t easy! But there are some great resources out there that can help you out, so here I’ve compiled the 5 top places I have used to find inspiration and help with choosing outfits for family photos.
- This blog post that I created a few weeks ago – there are some tips that I personally use when I’m making decisions for my own family as well as some examples from my own work.
- TikTok – I know, I know … it’s a time suck and full of content that isn’t always appropriate, but it’s a GREAT resource for the most up-to-date fashion ideas, including family portrait outfits! Just open the app, click the “search” icon in the top right corner and start scrolling!
- Instagram – this one has been my fashion go-to for a while. I follow all kinds of fashion “influencers,” but what I particularly love is that most of them (at least the ones I follow) shop at places like Amazon, Walmart, and Target. They’ll show you how to put together cute outfits for a lot less money! Again, just do a search for posts or hashtags.
- Pinterest – this was a popular resource for years and can still come in handy because often you’ll find photos of flat-lay outfits, already put together for the whole family. Pinterest isn’t quite as up-to-date as the other social apps, though.
- Google searches – this will pull up lots of images that you can scroll through, usually by other photographers of family photos that they’ve taken
I hope that this helps a little with making those tough decisions. It is definitely one of the top questions I get when it comes to doing family photos. Let me know if any of these have helped you or if there’s anything else you have questions about!
In the meantime, check out the perfectly coordinated fall colors of this family session, which we did at Golden Ranch Plantation last month. I’ve enjoyed working with this family at various times throughout the last couple of years and it’s been so much fun to see them each time. The first time I met Grayson, he was less than a year old and now he’s a rambunctious toddler, full of personality! This session went pretty smoothly considering the two little ones and it being so late in the day. (This can sometimes be tough with little ones that are used to getting ready for bed or eating dinner by the evening.) The two boys are actually “uncle” and “nephew” and I love how they interact with each other. There’s such a sweet closeness and friendship between the two and I’m sure the rest of the family will enjoy watching them grow up together!
Golden Ranch Plantation is a great option for any kind of outdoor photos. I have done engagements here a few times and I have another family session coming up here soon, but I also think it would be gorgeous for bridal portraits as well! Check the link here for more sessions at this location.